Saturday, May 5, 2018

Soup Du Jour


The life of the hero is worth less than the force that runs through his body. We faint. We are stripped, purified. The act of self-sacrifice arrives without reflection. There is no time to think. It's the impulse that counts. We act, then think. Reflections feed our inadequacies. They have the stubborn power of obsessions. Exactly as in reality, where  - if all we manage to do is maximize our profit  - we miss a dimension and a deeper sense to our life.
There is more to beauty than sausage. One example might be everything in Japan. Another might be cake. Lately, a lot of people have been asking about the Caravaggio in the lobby.
What can I say? What do you want me to tell you? That I met the Beatles?
I didn’t. The reality principle caught me off guard. I met The Rolling Stones instead. They seemed to like me. They let me pick up the baby goat and use him for a photobooth prop. Those were the days my friend. We thought they’d never end. And then Brian was found floating face down in his swimming pool and the world shimmered with the refracted light of a setting sun.
Death is at the bottom of everything. Cabbage, moss, carpentry, water polo.
I open my eyes and see stained glass. I close them and see the moon. Coffee walks through my blood sprinkling diamonds and agitation. Vagrancy blends deviation with philosophy. It must. Otherwise, it's just savage equations of rust and fornication, barns and manure, legs in continuous motion, colossal insecurities, molecular blizzards, long roads and stony detachment.
You can approach this world from different angles, but one way or another, you must find a direction, a goal, however illusory, and let it guide you through the murk of feeling, the hum of neurons.
The thing with cauliflower is that there is often another smell in the kitchen, which could be just about anything, cheese, wine, salami, bacon. It is here that the neurons become active and create impressions of a reality that has not yet remembered what it does, or what it’s supposed to be about, if anything, who knows what an appetite might become if it gets what it wants. People want different things, so that there is darkness and thunder, and then the picture gets murky. Anything out there could be talking your language. It could be pain, an introspection, a seed. Seeds are the matter that express that. You know? That simple way to say lamb, to say faith in natural things, to say nothing, to say please share my umbrella. If the illusion is pretty, use plaster, pin a little fire in the stove.
I like to sow the air with clocks and infrastructure. How about you? What are you up to? Me, I’m sitting here riding up and down on the windshield wipers. It’s a mechanical pleasure, like crawling into some music and caressing all the gentle facts relating to the impertinence of art during a time of crisis.
Creating anything is to go on talking. Philosophy is being a dog in different colors. Unlike literature, which is a pleasure that should not be spoiled by studying it, I see in philosophy a phenomenological struggle with the difficulty at hand where one can maneuver -  however clumsily - without damaging the questions. Once the objective is attained, we find a void. Here is where it begins. The feeling in meaning and being.
You can get it wrong and still think it’s alright. But that’s ok. We can work it out. I found a way to loosen the vice. And so I tell stories to make up for the fact that I hadn’t been told about it and that I almost burst out of this illusion in the name of an ideal, an unnamable energy, which caused me to be hunted as a rebel and made me lose almost all my friends. At the cost of these very painful ruptures, I got rid of the powerful mental hold that had been exercised on me. So if there is indeed a transcendent experience of self, must it always spur us to exceed our limits in such manner? Or does it mysteriously come to inhabit them? Invest them without abolishing them?
I don’t know, but the soup sure is good. 



No comments: