Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Interview With Tristan Tzara

Q: Do you like to make your bed in the morning?

A: Absolutely. I use a sledgehammer. I get insights by reaching for the pillows. I keep a trapeze under a stuffed horse. I use it to swing back and forth like a trombone stuck in a jujube.

Q: What do you think of today’s propaganda?

A: I think it’s terrific. I’ve never seen so many brainwashed people. I mean, what an achievement! We’ve finally reached a point where someone with a different viewpoint is persecuted like Joan of Arc. No society can function like this. Therefore, propaganda should be the national religion. All it requires is a ruthless disregard for truth. Propaganda is a virus that will bring the so-called civilized world down. Our species will be erased. The world will become pristine again. We are a failed species, but we did help bring newspeak and agitprop into being, which proved to be the DNA of our undoing. Propaganda is the wicked genius of fiction. It is to be regarded with great respect, and the flourish of a hand in a white parade glove.

Q: Have you ever worked in a mine?

A: Do you mean mine, or mind? I’ve worked in a number of mines, and minds. I discovered a vein of gold in a bus driver once. He was totally incompetent. He kept driving the bus over the sidewalk. I descended into his mind and discovered his whole secret depended on pessimism.

Q: How do you feel about the American embassy in Morocco?

A: It’s a crumpling temperament, a fragile disaster of soap. I can taste the apricot in the mouth of the traveler at the end of a long day exploring the streets of Tangiers. I see William S. Burroughs seated behind the desk, fanning himself with a multicolored bamboo fan and offering a lump of hashish on a silver platter to his guests and applicants. I offer a salute. And thank him for his service.

Q: What are your feelings about music?

A: They’re mostly red, the kind of red you see at Christmas, or on the nose of an alcoholic butcher with a passion for Bach. When I listen to Karen Carpenter I want to run around the house naked trailing a bright red scarf. Jimi Hendrix makes me foggy, like tomorrow’s pants, red of course, with hundreds of pockets and a parachute. John Cage opens my mind. J.J. Cale blows my mind. Keith Richards conducts mass with a boogie piano and a bell tower of chapped percussion.

Q: How do you feel about Jerry Lee Lewis?

A: I become incandescent and masturbate.  

Q: Do you understand electricity?

A: I don’t, no. I think it’s got something to do with electrons or something. Is it onions? It’s a dramatic medium, isn’t it? It’s not exactly Dada. It’s so purposeful. All those wires leading up to something. Toasters, tortillas, and tacit assumptions. Have you ever been shocked? The muscles ripple with its energy. I don’t know. Maybe the secret of electricity is Dada. Electricity is the mother of Dada.

Q: What do you think Heidegger meant by “Transcendence constitutes selfhood?”

A: I haven’t the faintest idea. Let me ask you something: what are you doing this for?

Q: Doing what?

A: Interviewing a dead man you’ve never met and trying to pass it off as some sort of journalistic  éclat or literary feat. Don’t you think that’s a little pretentious, not to mention dishonest?

Q: Ok, you got me. I’ve been exposed. But isn’t this fun?

A: It’s fun. Yes. I’d like to go back to being dead now if you don’t mind.

Q: Sure thing. Thank you for your patience.

A: hi ho Silver! And away!

 

 

No comments: