Sunday, August 25, 2024

Some Thoths On The Book Of Thongs

They say that if you follow an unpredictable thought you’ll eventually discover temptation. Nothing in life is certain. Not even certainty. Certainty is a ruse invented by roses. The fragrance is exquisitely ironic. Or you could say something different entirely. Words are decisions wrapped in nomenclature. A rose by any other name might consist of more than three dimensions. That there is mystery in the universe is a coefficient proven repeatedly by slurps of chicken noodle soup. If you’re going to include it in your description, it should cause cubes in addition to fuses. It all depends on how comfortable you are with the current décor. It’s ok to like everything and rub against things and all that. But if you’re looking for escape, you’ll want to go into the hills to find the right medicines. Culture is either Marie Laurencin or it's a garden: you decide. There will always be a certain amount of aluminum around to boost your confidence in abstraction.

The tongue isn’t the strongest muscle in the body. It’s not as strong as some of the other muscles, such as the quadriceps, gluteus maximus, and masseter. It’s still pretty strong. Strong enough to lift words like death, Dharma, and floccinaucinihilipilification. Before the larynx, there was the Vortex, from which, through which, and into which ideas are constantly rushing. The tongue, in its early days, sewed images of lamp black diphthong. That’s how it found a berth in the mouth. When the mind is on a journey, the tongue remains silent. But it’s a restless animal. It can’t stay still for long. It transforms the air into discrete energetic events of sound and meaning, things like dumbbells, crash test dummies, and clumsy philosophies. And it starts conversations. And divides things into portents, predications, which often weigh more in the mind than in the air.

I stumbled around the operating theater looking for my glasses. I found an umbrella and a sewing machine but not my glasses. I found my glasses later, which were on my face. These things cease to embarrass me. You can’t embarrass an old man. Not when he’s seen the things I’ve seen. Heard the things I’ve heard. Felt the things I’ve felt. Been slapped a hundred times by the sober truth. Fucked by voluptuous deceits. Fooled by mesmerizing solicitations. It’s been quite an education. Here’s what I learned: beacons are the bacon of the backpack cafeteria. Belief is the harness of our prayers. I am furthermost from myself when I rotate. Jodhpurs are good for ping pong, but bad for credulity. Avoid altercations. Intuitions work best where the current is swift.

One of the greatest women of the last century, who was largely responsible for sewing a hurricane to a consonant, was said to have a magnificent faculty of silence in ten languages. No, it wasn't Cher. She had less formality in getting to meet her. One felt elect to feel bliss around her. A feeling of reassurance to the exclusion of everything else. It’s how I lost my shyness. I found I could go up banging and talking about mahogany to just about anyone. Bookcases are made with mahogany, I’d say. If you gaze at it long enough you can see an idea sleeping in the grain, surrounded by wonderful hallucinations. It’s how writing was invented. And lingerie.

Is something art because I say it's art? I remember thinking that once. I still do. A little. A little wistfully. A little pretentiously. I never thought of art as a magic trick, a deception, although in many ways it is. Especially self-deception. I knew the empire was decaying. I just didn’t expect it so soon. Hence, the need for trickery, and mirage. The persistence of values. The persistence of science, and hot dogs and condiments. Credible goals. Plausible vignettes. And the aurochs and bulls of Lascaux. Books in bookstores. A good conversation. And light in everyone’s eyes.

Why are the leaders of collapsing empires always so strange? Is it because they embody all the vile corruptions of the oligarchs and aristocrats? Take Elagabalus, Roman emperor from 218 to 222. He developed a reputation for extreme eccentricity, decadence, zealotry and sexual promiscuity. Edward Gibbon wrote that Elagabalus "abandoned himself to the grossest pleasures with ungoverned fury.” The Rolling Stones pale by comparison. George the III of England would sometimes speak for hours at a time without pause. He would foam at the mouth as his voice became a dark vibrato of bones and gargoyles and his vocabulary grow increasingly complex and colorful, creating stratospheric chimeras and intricate polyglottal cathedrals. Now look at our emperors. Let them stride through your mind with their struts and giggles, solemn oaths and shrill proclamations. That mean nothing. But are inflated with the stuff of dreams and euphoria.

The answer is blowing in the wind. Creaking in the mattress. Curdling in the counterpane. Reaching into my soul via YouTube. Tossed to me via algorithm. Indexed at the back of the book. The Book of Everything. The Book of Maladjustment. The Book of Tongues. The Book of Thongs. Which is a coffee table book. I will leave it your imagination. Last night I had the answer to everything but it slipped away. The mind gets slippery at night. It becomes a place of excess. And imbroglios and monotheists. One person’s answer is another person’s problem. Answers are sectarian. Utilitarian. Seminarian aquariums. Once it is firmly established that 2 + 2 is 5, you’re well on your way to introspection. And confetti. I’m sorry. What was the question? 


No comments: