Hibiscus
And so. What now, my
little angels? Where to? And what for? It's always the same old story. Birth,
death, reincarnation as a Goodyear tire. Don’t start me rolling. Once I get
going, it’s difficult to stop. Even when things start looking cataclysmic,
catastrophic, and fungal. Slowly, chestnut by chestnut, I will make another
ocean. Meanwhile, I’m going to go get the laundry. I swear, if you listen
closely, you can hear an egg-timer in the Stone's "Can't You Hear Me
Knocking." It’s what I use to remind me I’ve got some laundry to attend
to. Things to mend. Fellowships to restore. Trunks to pack. Memories to unpack.
Grace means more than clean underwear. It means never having to say thank you
for choosing me I won’t let you down. I never cared much for that role. I was
more of a see you later alligator guy. Or at least I pretended to be. The
reality was different. As it always is. That’s the dark side of reality: it’s
real. I miss every person to whom I’ve said goodbye. And never said hello
again. It’s why I’m drawn to art. There's nothing like going up to an attic in
the summer and finding objects enchanted with the dust of obfuscation. You
clear the webs and find the time to put your nose into a big bowl of meringue.
And wonder what happened to books and affordability. Redemption and hiding.
Privacy and hobbies. The radio on late at night. The Goon Show. And a hibiscus.
We All Saw It Coming
We all saw it coming. But
we could never agree on where it came from. My life began with Rimbaud. And
ended with profligacy, industrial seasonings, and imbecility. It felt like
being in a Sam Shepherd play. And then everything happened. Chaos. Camels. And
lipstick. The pyramids were mighty and gave us a sense of assurance. Death lies
beneath everything. There are three things in life you can always count on:
problems, accidents, and ping pong. Everything else makes me quiver. I can
hardly stand, much less sing. Is this an age in which to think about
publication? Why not? The show must go on. I can’t help admire certain
paradoxes, my favorite being the authenticity of fiction and the lies that go
hand in hand with truth. And thank god for cognitive dissonance. Or just plain
dissonance. And the many problems that brought me here, looking for you to help
me solve them. Some things are so irrational they deserve a suite at the top of
the Ritz. You can paint anything you want if you have your own calamity and a
place to do it. This is a Bob Dylan song. He never wrote it. I did. I like Bob
Dylan. And there was time and consideration. Hippopotamus. Old oak doors. The
soft orange clouds of a Wyoming morning. The end feels surprisingly similar to
the beginning. And that makes me circular. Fashionably nonlinear. And sexy as a
remedy for work.
Knock Knock
Knock knock. Who’s there? Anarchy. Anarchy who? None of your business. Well, come back later none of my business, when you’re feeling a little more garrulous and less anarchic. You old libertarian you. Here’s what I think: back in paleolithic times I’ll bet women did go hunting with the men. Women are better at spotting details than men. As for raising children, I’m hesitant to speculate. I’ve only raised one human being. And that was me. And I failed. Repeatedly. The possibilities were daunting. I got lost in alternatives. Diversions. I matured more like a gingko biloba than an arugula. I made so many bad decisions it’s a miracle I’m still here. I had a penchant for getting lost in details. It’s a feminine trait, but I’m proud to be a fop. It takes a real man to be a sissy. Hotspur can take his toxic masculinity elsewhere. I’m riding my favorite rocket to the far edge of the known universe and having a shot of bourbon, a corned beef sandwich, and a good long look at nothing. Anyone knocks on the door, tell them I’m indisposed. I’m busy reminiscing. And I’ve got a lot to reminisce. Don’t Go Now. Paint It Black. A Day in the Life. I don’t want to see you go. But you’d better go now. I’ll save you a seat when the shit hits the fan. And I put the flap of my old oak desk up a final time.

No comments:
Post a Comment